Living and studying in Austria

Residence- and Visa Regulations

1. EEU countries (EU and EFTA countries) and Switzerland

Apart from a valid passport there are no specific requirements.

For stays longer than three months you have to register within the first four months with the municipal authorities Linz, (Magistrat Linz, Einwohner- und Standesamt, Abteilung Fremdenrecht, Hauptstraße 1-5, 4041) who will issue proof of registration. The following documents are needed for the registration:

  • a current photograph conforming ICAO standards
  • a valid identity card or passport
  • proof of a health insurance (e.g. European Health Insurance Card)
  • proof of sufficient financial means
  • confirmation of admission to the university
  • € 35 administration fee

2. Third Country Nationals

Citizens from non-EEU countries require an entry or residence permit in order to enter or become resident in Austria. The type of permit depends on the purpose of your stay in Austria.


Make sure you have all relevant information concerning sufficient insurance - foresight is better than hindsight! Students are responsible for their sufficient health insurance during the whole length of their stay.

The compulsory Austrian Students’ Union (ÖH) membership fee includes accident and liability insurance but no health insurance. However, only your way to university, time at university and during fieldtrips/excursions as part of your studies are covered.

Health insurance: There are different conditions depending on your country of origin.

For EU citizens, their home insurance is generally also valid in Austria. Please consult your insurance provider regarding coverage of your insurance. The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is required.

Students from countries that have a social security agreement with Austria (Bosnia and Herzegovina, the Republic of Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, and Turkey) can exchange the A3 form from their national health insurance provider at the Austrian health insurance provider (Gebietskrankenkasse) for a national form that entitles them to medical treatment in Austria.

Third Country Nationals must take out an insurance with a private insurance company and are responsible for sufficient coverage.

Living Costs

Depending on one’s lifestyle and additional expenses like travelling, living costs for a study term can vary significantly. As a rule of thumb, you should plan between € 300 and € 500 per month for accommodation in Linz. Including food, recreational activities, etc. € 700 - € 800 per month should be budgeted.

Additional costs that should be considered:

  • Travel costs
  • Deposit for accommodation (varies depending on provider, a maximum of 3 months’ rent)
  • Insurance cost (for non-EU citizens)

Come to Linz

We are looking forward to welcoming you in Linz!

General information and some facts will help you to make your stay in Austria more interesting and enjoyable. Here you will find some useful tips and contact information for your stay in Upper Austria.

German Courses

The Johannes Kepler University, a partner institution of KU Linz, offers German courses on the levels A1 to C1, that can be attended by KU Linz incoming students.

Orientation Week – a perfect start to your exchange semester

Incoming students can expect an exciting semester.

The international semester for incoming students begins with the Orientation Week which prepares you for your adventure “studying abroad”.

Here are some program highlights:

  • Campus-tour and info-session about students’ life
  • Info-sessions on organizational matters (registration in Linz, insurance etc.)
  • Workshop: “Cross-Cultural Communication” for a better understanding of Austrian culture. Social events to get to know better other incomings and KU students. In cooperation with the student union various activities will be offered: Welcome dinner, city tour, excursions

Buddies can help our incoming students throughout the exchange semester – especially at the beginning of the semester they offer valuable support and help finding your way around Linz. What do I need to know about the KU Linz campus? Which are the best hang out spots in Linz? What are must sees? Which phone provider should I choose?


Students from Erasmus partner institutions will receive their Erasmus grant through their home institutions. Master and PhD students from outside Europe can apply for the Ernst Mach grant. This grant for all academic fields is offered to young researchers and university lecturers from outside Europe.

Available for: Postgraduates, Postdocs
From: all countries
Duration: 1 to 9 months
Funding: OeAD-GmbH/ICM on behalf of and financed by the Austrian Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research (BMBWF)
Application deadline: March 1st
Further Information

You can find more information here.