Information for Free Mover

Visiting international students who do not apply within an exchange- or scholarship program, but want to self-organize one or two semesters at KU, can apply for a Free Mover grant.

As a Free Mover, you can attend courses based on an agreement with the relevant department and/or work on your thesis with a KU Linz supervisor and get ECTS points. A requirement for a Free Mover is the valid registration at your home institution. If your institution takes part in the ERASMUS+ program we are open to new partnerships if the study programs offered at your home institution are compatible with those at KU Linz. With a cooperation agreement between KU Linz and your home institution the ERASMUS+ grant can be applied for.

With institutions outside Europe, it is also possible to establish a cooperation agreement if your home institution is interested in it. In this case, visiting students are exempt from tuition fees at KU Linz.

The completion of a degree is not possible during a Free Mover term at KU Linz.


The language of instruction in most courses at KU Linz is German. In order to be able to follow the lectures German level B2 is required. For students writing their thesis during their stay it is possible to work in English.

Regular studies:

Incoming students are registered at KU Linz for the duration of their stay. If you are interested in continuing studies immediately after your exchange term (or at a later stage) the application for admission to a specific program must be submitted on time. Regular studies, however, have different requirements than an exchange term.

It is possible to have previous coursework recognized by the accreditation office of KU Linz.